The Meal Program Coordinator will help with the delivery of the meal program (breakfast, lunch, and snacks) at Courtenay Elementary School. This is a part time position (20 hours/week + 2hours for shopping) beginning February 2023.
- 20 hours/week + 2hours for shopping
- 7am-noon, Monday-Friday
- Wage: $22/hour
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Meal Program Coordinator will support the Courtenay Elementary School meal program. The Courtenay Elementary School meal program provides breakfasts, lunches, and snacks to any child who is hungry. The kitchen is operated by an EA with help from PAC volunteers from 7am to noon daily. The Meal Program Coordinator will work with Courtenay Elementary School to coordinate, plan, and prepare meals. The Meal Program Coordinator is expected to create and prepare menu items for the school lunch program, while ensuring appropriate levels of groceries and kitchen supplies. The Meal Program Coordinator is required to ensure the safe and healthy preparation of meals and sanitation techniques at all times to avoid cross-contamination and the spoiling of food and beverages. The Meal Program Coordinator will also perform other duties as required by the Executive Director.
Your job is to help feed the students and staff of Courtenay Elementary. Duties include:
- Planning, organizing, coordinating, and implementing the daily operations and activities of the school kitchen.
- Assisting the Courtenay Elementary School EA in preparing, cooking, and serving of all foods; washing and cleaning kitchen equipment, kitchen area, and utensils.
- Planning daily, weekly, and monthly meal menus and food orders.
- Ensuring the kitchen is maintained in a safe and sanitary manner, and monitoring conditions at all times.
- Operating and maintaining a variety of kitchen appliances such as slicers, mixers, graters, and knives in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Ensuring that food items are properly prepared, cooked, stored, and served in a safe, sanitary, and timely manner.
- Maintaining records and reports on the number of meals served, cost of groceries and other expenses, and submit records and reports to the Executive Director at the end of each month.
- Maintaining food inventories as well as an inventory of kitchen appliances and equipment
- Working with the Executive Director in communicating with School District personnel, vendors, and outside organizations to coordinate activities, resolve conflicts, and share information.
- Operating a computer and assigned software programs.
- Driving a vehicle for the purpose of shopping or picking up deliveries in the Comox Valley.
- Working with teachers to plan special menus and bag lunches for field trips.
- Other duties assigned by the Executive Director.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Valid FOODSAFE certification
- At least 2 years’ experience in a food service environment preferred
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Positive problem solving skills
- Ability to multi-task and to work quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and be resourceful
- Excellent communication skills
- Must enjoy working with children
- Clear Criminal Record Check
- A valid BC driver’s license and vehicle in good operating condition.
How to apply
Please email your resume and a cover letter to contact [at] cecss.org with the subject line “Meal Program Coordinator.” Please describe why you think this position is for you in your cover letter. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The position will remain open until filled.